Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Family Favorite: Cheeseburger Soup

***I am linking this up at Lynn's Kitchen Adventures.  Join me and share your favorite recipe!*** 

CHEESEBURGER SOUP


Here is how you make it:

First,  brown and drain 1/2 lb. of ground chuck (I always do a lb. and save the other 1/2 for a taco salad the next day for lunch or double the recipe and freeze half.  Set Aside.

Next,  Saute the following ingredients:
  • 3/4 c.  chopped onion
  • 3/4 c.  shredded carrots
  • 3/4 c.  diced celery
  • 1 tsp.  basil 
  • 1 tsp.  parsley flakes 
  • 1 T.    butter 
 

Then,  combine the vegetables and meat with:
  • 3 c. chicken broth
  • 4 c. peeled and diced potatoes
Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are done.

Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons of butter and add the following ingredients: 
  • 1/ 4 c.  flour
  • 1 1/2 c. milk 
  • 3/4 tsp. salt 
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
 
Stir until smooth and thickened, then add to soup mixture.  

Next add 2 cups of Velveeta cheese, cubed .  Finally when cheese has melted, add 1/4 cup of sour cream.  This recipe makes 1/2 gallon.

 ***This looks a bit disgusting....but I just was in a hurry and threw the cheese in there without "cubing" it.

You should end up with delicious (probably not-so-healthy) Cheeseburger Soup.  I serve it with French Bread or Rolls...Yummy!

Note:  This is from the Koch Family Cookbook...one of my all time favorite cookbooks!  I am more willing to try recipes when I know the people who created them.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brighten my day....leave me a comment! :-)