Monday, March 16, 2015

Why 2015 items in 2015?

As I am getting ready to embark on The Great Purge of 2015, I thought maybe I would share with you why I am on this mission.



On December 31st, 2013, my mother called all nine of us children together.  My father, who had been battling cancer, had "things" he wanted to pass on to us and wanted to be present when it was divided. Truthfully, it was very uncomfortable morning.  To sit and go through treasured items of a loved one who knew his days were number was heartbreaking. While we were wrapping up hours of taking turns and picking out items, my father turned to me and quietly asked "Do you think everyone is happy?"  Stunned,  I simply replied, "There is nothing in the world that we would want more than to have you healthy. You are more important than any thing you could give us."  Three days later he was no longer with us, but his words have been etched in my brain ever since.  Do his "things" bring me happiness? Yes, only because they are memories of him.  If given the chance, I would give up all the "things" that I own to bring him back.

As sobering as this story may be, this was my first realization that things in my life had to change. After a year of grief, I look around my house and realize that I have too much stuff. Stuff that takes too much time to maintain, clean, and steals me away from the "things" that mean the most...my loved ones.   Therefore, I am on a mission to purge at least 2015 items from my home.   I would love for you to join me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brighten my day....leave me a comment! :-)